You are in: Home > Immigration Law

After Your Fiancee Receives her Philippines K1 Visa

10th November 2010
By fianceevisa in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

After Your Fiancee Receives her Philippines K1 Visa

Congratulations! Finally, your fiancee can now join you in the United States. You must be full of plans for her trip here and brimming with excitement with the many possibilities now that she has her Philippines K1 visa.

There are some things that you still need to know, however, to make the most of this visa and to help your fiancee prepare for her trip. Here are some frequently asked questions after a Philippines K1 visa has been received:

What documents will my fiancee be required to present at the port or entry here in the U.S.?

Your fiancee will need her passport with the K1 visa and a sealed packet containing the civil documents you provided, plus other documents prepared by the U.S. Embassy in Manila. It is important that your fiancee do not open the sealed packet. Only the DHS immigration official should open this packet when she enters the United States. As the K-1 visa holder, she must enter the U.S. either before or at the same time as any qualifying children holding K-2 visas.

How long is the visa valid?

The validity of the visa is six months. Your fiancee will have to apply for a single admission at a U.S. port of entry within the validity of the K1 visa.

How long can she stay in the U.S. on a K1 visa?

You have ninety (90) days from the day of your fiancee's arrival in which to marry or she will have to leave the country. If she marries someone other than you, she will also be deported. If she has to leave the country before you are married you can still file another petition for a fiance visa for her or somebody else in the future. This also does not preclude her from coming to the U.S. in the future on another Philippines K1 visa.

How will she become a permanent resident?

After marriage, your spouse must file Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live in the United States. You must fill out the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, with the USCIS for your spouse's application to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR).

Will she be able to work or travel?

If your fiancee wants to work on a K1 visa
she must file Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with her Adjustment of Status petition. She can also file for a work permit (employment authorization document). If she wants to leave and re-enter the country travel then she will have to Form I-131 Application for Travel Document to the USCIS office for advance parole to return to the United States. has been helping couples start their married lives for years now, and we have gained the expertise to help you and your Philippines fiance be married in the U.S. and adjust her status after your marriage, quickly and efficiently at prices that you can easily afford. Call us now for a free consultation!
This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda