You are in: Home > Legal

Canada Study Permit-- International Students In Canada

18th October 2011
By fwcanada in Legal
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

What is a Canada study permit?
A Canada study permit allows international students to study in Canada under a variety of programs, including English and French language classes, post-secondary degree programs, and professional programs, amongst others.

How do you get a Canada study permit?
You can only apply for a study permit after being accepted at a recognized Canadian school, university or college. There are many options to choose from refer to the Canadian Schools link for more information.

What is required to obtain a Canada study permit?
Letter of acceptance from a recognized Canadian educational institution
Valid passport for the principal applicant and their accompanying dependent family members
Evidence that you will be able to financially support yourself and accompanying dependants for the duration of studying in Canada.
Other requirements for a Canada study permit:
Not have a criminal record if you have been convicted of a criminal offence, contact FWCanada to find out how you may overcome your criminal inadmissibility

Are healthy, you may have to undergo a medical exam, depending on certain circumstances.
Demonstrate that you have the intention to leave Canada at the expiration of your Canada study permit.
Dual intent:
Many students apply for study permits that allow for temporary residence in Canada. This permit will expire after the allotted duration of the stay is finished. It is possible to apply for both temporary and permanent residence in Canada this is called dual intent. Dual intent allows students to apply for permanent residence, while at the same time securing their temporary study permit. If the application for Canada permanent residency is refused, the Canada study permit is not affected. Dual intent is important for those students who intend on remaining in Canada after their study program is finished.

Processing times for a Canada study permit:
After you have been accepted at a Canadian school, university or college, you can submit your application online, by mail, or at a Canadian immigration office either inside or outside of Canada. The general rule is that you must apply either at a visa office responsible for your country of citizenship or through a visa office responsible for a country where you have had at least one year of lawful status.

Application processing times for applications vary depending on the method of submission. Online applications are generally processed faster than other types of applications (approximately 6 weeks for online submission). For a list of visa offices and processing times, click here.
About FWCanada:

As one of the most trusted Canadian immigration law firms, FWCanada will ensure that your application receives impeccable attention to detail. Our mission is to provide high quality legal services, in a transparent and efficient manner. Unfortunately, fraudulent and ineffective practice exists in most industries and Canadian immigration is no exception. Only lawyers who are members in good standing of a Canadian bar association, or members of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants are legally authorized to represent clients for the purposes of Canadian immigration. As the legal representative of all FWCanada clients, Attorney Marisa Feil has distinguished herself as a respected authority on Canadian immigration law. She is frequently contacted by government officials and other Canadian immigration lawyers for her expertise.

For more information, please contact FWCanada, Tel: 855-316-3555; Email:;
Follow us on Twitter: @fwcanada
This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda