The NHTSA Investigation Closes - Toyota Recalls 2.17 Million Vehicles in the US
According to the Transportation Department, it had reviewed more than 400,000 pages of Toyota documents to determine the scope of the company's recalls for pedal entrapment as a result of which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) asked Toyota to recall the additional vehicles. As Toyota has conceded our investigation has come to a close. According to a Toyota spokesman these additional pedal entrapment recalls help ensure that acceleration concerns are reduced.
Since January 2009, Toyota has recalled 15 million vehicles globally to fix gas pedals and other safety problems. Half of them needed modifications to prevent the carpet from interfering with the accelerator. In its latest safety action, Toyota said more than half of the vehicles under recall were being added to a massive 2009 recall that fixed gas pedals getting trapped in the floor mat.
The Japanese automaker Toyota would add three models to the 2009 pedal entrapment recall:
* About 600,000 4Runner SUVs from the 2003-2009 model years
* 761,000 RAV4 compact SUVs from the 2006-2010 model years
* 17,000 Lexus LX 570s from the 2008-2011 model years
* 372,000 RX 330, RX 350 and RX 400H vehicles from the 2004 through early 2007 model years
* 397,000 2004-2006 Toyota Highlander SUVs and hybrid versions
The recall also is announced to replace floor carpet covering and retention clips on the driver's side that could interfere with the accelerator pedal arm.
Toyota also recalled 20,000 2006 through early 2007 GS 300 and GS 350 all-wheel drive vehicles to change the shape of a plastic pad embedded in the driver's side floor carpet that could cause pedal interference.
NHTSA said it had not confirmed any deaths or injuries associated with the latest recalls.
* The company said owners of the recalled GS 300 and GS 350 vehicles will be notified of the recall in early March
* Owners of the RX and Highlander vehicles will be notified in the "near future" and receive a second notification once replacement covers are available
* Owners of the recalled 4Runner, LX 570 and RAV4s will also receive an initial notification in the near future, followed by a second notification once the recall preparations are complete.
Georgia lemon law Help. Get a Free Georgia Lemon Law Case Evaluation and Consultation from our experienced Georgia (GA) lemon law attorney. To our credit, we have hundreds of Georgia lemon law cases settled successfully without the client ever having to pay the attorney the fees.
This article is free for republishing