You are in: Home > Immigration Law

K1 Fiance Visa Start Your Life With Loved Ones With K1 Visa

25th July 2011
By Chuck Stark in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

If you are a U.S citizen looking to marry your foreign fiance(e) in the United States, you will need to apply for a K1 visa. K1 visa, also known as the fiance visa, allows your fiance(e) to enter the United States for the purpose of marriage. The visa is a non-immigrant, single entry visa that last for 90 days upon your fiance(e) entry into the United States.

However, the process of obtaining a K1 visa is tough because it entails tons of paperwork and long waiting time. A single mistake or hiccup during the application process will delay your hopes of being together with your loved ones as soon as possible.

To qualify for a K1 visa, you must first prove that you are a citizen of the United States and you and your fiance(e) have the capability to financially support each other in the United States. You and your fiance(e) must also be legally free to marry and must have met each other in person within the last 2 years prior to filing for the K1 visa.

After satisfying the above basic requirements, you may then initiate a petition for a K1 visa for your fiance(e). The petition will be reviewed by the United States Citizenship And Immigration Services (USCIS) and if approved, it will be sent to the U.S embassy of your fiance(e) country. From that point onwards, your fiance(e) will submit the necessary documents requested by the embassy and will have to attend a medical check-up. Lastly, your fiance(e) will attend a visa interview which will ultimately decide whether the K1 visa will be issued to him/her.

As you can see, the process is relatively straightforward. However, the crux lies in submitting accurate and complete information to the reviewing authorities. The most common cause of K1 visa denial is due to incomplete or fake information being submitted. Issues such as criminal records, illness and even poor English skills may also play a part as serve as a basis for visa delay or denial.

The K1 visa is valid for 6 months upon issuance. Upon entry into the United States, the visa will be activated and is valid only for 90 days. Thus, you and your fiance(e) will need to get married within that time period. No compromise will be given as the visa cannot be extended and your fiance(e) will be deported if he/she does not marry you within the this prescribed time.
This article is free for republishing
About the Author
If you are looking to apply for a K1 visa, follow this step-be-step K1 visa guide now to ensure complete and accurate filing of visa application.
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda