You are in: Home > Immigration Law

Have you been Required to Renew Your Green Card?

23rd February 2011
By Jeff Whitaker in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

"Green Card" refers for the official card issued from the U.S. federal government to those that turn into lawful permanent residents (immigrants) as proof of their authorization to stay and work within the United States. It is formally named Form I-551, the Permanent Resident Card (earlier known as called the Alien Registration Receipt Card). It is commonly named the Green Card not due to the fact of its current colour, but simply because of your authentic color with the card a lot of years ago.

The "Green Card" is evidence of one's status like a lawful permanent resident using a correct to stay and work permanently within the United States, provided that you don't violate any immigration laws. A "Green Card" instantaneously communicates to law enforcement officials and United States employers the person's authorized status in accordance with United States immigration laws.

In August 1989, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS - now USCIS) started issuing "Green Cards" having a 10-year expiration date and necessary permanent residents to renew their Green Cards every single ten years. Furthermore, a "Green Card" that's too previous, with out-of-date pictures or is damaged, can't effectively serve as evidence of current immigration status, registration, identity, and employment authorization or re-entry documents. Current Green Cards have an expiration date said around the entrance with the card and expire each 10 (10) years. The USCIS puts a 10-year expiration date on "Green Cards" for Permanent Residents, not Conditional Residents (2-year expiration date), to guard against counterfeiting and tampering and to ensure that these people who may possibly now be inadmissible, removable or deportable are brought towards the focus of USCIS.

Green Card holders won't automatically shed authorized status while in the United States if their card expires; nevertheless, permanent residents are needed by law to carry proof of their current authorized status constantly (e.g. a legitimate, unexpired Green Card or even the momentary proof of status you get at the time of filing to renew your Green Card.) If permanent residents fail to renew an expired or expiring card, they might encounter troubles in acquiring employment, public benefits and re-entry in to the United States following traveling overseas. It is very important be aware that USCIS will not penalize candidates for renewing their "Green Card" right after it's got expired, but applicants need to apply to renew their "Green Cards" as quickly as you possibly can. In addition, under no situations ought to a permanent resident travel overseas with an expired card unless of course she or he has evidence that a renewal for that Green Card was filed with the USCIS and it is ready to present proof upon entry again in to the U.S.

"Green Cards" issued involving 1979 and 1988 which did not state a specific expiration date did not be renewed simply because there was no expiration date. Lawful permanent residents who maintain these permanent resident cards without expiration date might replace their cards now, but there is currently no requirement to complete so. It is very important be aware that these cards are now in between 17 and 30 years old and are quite possibly damaged and with outdated images.

On August 22, 2007, the USCIS introduced a proposed rule that all lawful permanent residents with cards without any expiration date ought to apply and obtain new "Green Cards." This proposed rule in no way affects the current validity of these permanent resident cards. Permanent residents who possess these cards may possibly proceed to work with them as proof of permanent residency when traveling, when seeking employment, and at any time these kinds of evidence is required. However, the USCIS is seeking to terminate "Green Cards" without an expiration date. USCIS believes the replacement of those cards is vital to your security with the immigration approach. The change would permit USCIS to problem far more secure, tamper-resistant permanent resident cards, update cardholder information, conduct track record checks, and electronically shop applicants' fingerprint and photographic information so as to offer far better evidence of your identity of your cardholders.

To renew your Green Card, you should total and submit a Form I-90 "Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card." Form I-90 applications to renew "Green Cards" could possibly be submitted by mail or online at the US Immigration Organization web site ( All applicants are needed to provide current biographic and biometric (images and fingerprint) information. If an applicant can't manage the required USCIS submitting charge, he or she might request a price waiver according to common methods. The certain specifications and procedures for applying to renew an expiring permanent resident card are set forth inside the Code of Federal Rules [CFR] at eight CFR 264.5.

Currently, processing times for the adjudication of I-90 applications, without any immigration issues, is normally 6-12 weeks. Even so, processing times can differ for every applicant based on particular details. If you are outside with the United States at the time of your card's expiration and you haven't utilized for that renewal card prior to your departure, you need to get in touch with the nearest American Consulate or Embassy, USCIS office, or Port of Entry prior to trying to return towards the United States or filing Form I-90 for any renewal I-551 card. The USCIS encourages qualified residents to also contemplate applying for naturalization.

If a "Green Card" holder has had any criminal convictions right after getting lawful status or has any legal worries, it's really essential to seek out legal guidance prior to filing for green card renewal or Naturalization. Numerous candidates uncover the penalties of applying for renewal or Naturalization only right after they've been positioned in Removal (Deportation) Proceedings.
This article is free for republishing
About the Author
I am a tiny city guy from southern Florida. I'm self-employed and have been operating a company in my house city for over 20 a long time. I have a school diploma in schooling. My emphasis was sports well being and psychology. I'm an affiliate of my local Lion's Club and have served the metropolis in a variety of capabilities more than the years. I adore networking and meeting new men and women. It's my objective to create a nice recurring earnings for my retirement and for my family. I'm loyal to a fault and can do everything I can to assist you to succeed.
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda