You are in: Home > Immigration Law

Getting a K1 Visa for Your Foreign National Fiance(e)

10th November 2010
By fianceevisa in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

Getting a K1 Visa for Your Foreign National Fiance(e)

If you want to marry your foreign born fiance(e) in the United States, you will need to file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office for a K1 visa. We at can help you avoid the delays and denials normally experienced by Americans in acquiring a K1 visa for their fiancees abroad.

But first you need to know a few things:

Who are qualified to file for a K1 visa?

Only U.S citizens who intend to marry a non-U.S. citizen are eligible to apply for K1 fiance visa. Both you and your foreigner fiance(e) must be legally qualified to marry, meaning you are both presently unmarried. All former marriages must be totally and finally ended and not still pending a divorce or an annulment. You also must have seen each other in person at least once in the last two years prior to filing the petition. Financial capacity to support your wife or husband in the U.S. will also be a vital qualification before you can file for a K1 visa.

We can help you identify which documents (letters, phone bills, photographs, tickets, etc.) will be acceptable in proving your eligibility to file for the fiance visa to ensure that you never have to receive a Request for Evidence (RFE) which can drastically extend your wait time.

What are the basic steps in filing for a K1 visa?

Form I-129F must first be filed with the USCIS by the U.S. citizen in the United States. When approved, the petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center, which will in turn forward it to the Embassy in your fiance/s country of origin. Your fiance(e)will receive the K1 visa. packet from the Embassy with instructions on how to proceed with the visa application. He or she will be asked to undergo medical examination and will also be scheduled for the visa interview. At the visa interview, she will also need to present several relevant documents. A few days after the consular officer decided that he or she is qualified for a fiance(e) visa, he or she will receive the K1 visa by special courier.

We have a Basic Package, Standard Service and Platinum Package that you can choose from to help you with all the paperwork and filing needed for the entire process.

How long will the whole process take?

The initial filing and approval of the petition with the USCIS can take from 2 to 6 months. Take a look at our fiance visa wait time schedule to get an idea of how long embassies take to act on a petition. Once a K1 visa is issued, you have 90 days from arrival in the U.S. to marry or the visa will expire and your fiance(e) will have to leave the country.The visa cannot be extended for any reason.

Which is easier to get: a marriage or a fiance visa?

If you married outside the United States, you will have to get a marriage visa or the K3 visa to bring your wife back with you in the U.S. This visa takes a little bit longer to process than the K1 visa.
This article is copyright
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda