You are in: Home > Immigration Law

Australian Travel Visas

16th March 2011
By Art Vandelay in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

Anybody wishing to travel to Australia, who does not hold an Australian or New Zealand passport, will require a travel visa. There are many different types of visas, depending on your requirements.

The most common types of visa are tourist visas, working holiday visas, business visas and student visas. There are also variations on these, such as short stay (3 month), 6 month or 12 month tourist visas.

Australian Tourist Visa (Short Stay)

An Australian tourist visa (ETA) allows you to visit Australia for the purpose of tourism. A tourist ETA is valid on your passport for 12 months from the date it is issued, and allows multiple trips to Australia within this time. However, each stay in Australia may not be for a period of longer than 90 days.

An ETA is issued through our computer system operated on behalf of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs of Australia. This authority to enter Australia as a visitor is electronically assigned to your passport.

When you check in Airport staff will confirm that you have a valid Australian tourist visa electronically as opposed to the old system of having a stamp in your passport.

Australian Working Holiday Visa

The Australian working holiday visa scheme provides a fantastic opportunity to travel round Australia, whilst earning money to subsidize your holiday. Under this visa, you are entitled to supplement your travel funds through temporary employment. You will have 12 months to enter Australia from the date of issue, and once you’re in Australia you are allowed to stay for up to 12 months. A condition of this visa is that you not be employed with any single employer for longer than 6 months.

You may also study or train for up to 4 months using your Australian working holiday visa. There is also the opportunity to extend Australia working holiday visas for up to another 12 months by completing 3 months seasonal work during your first 12 months.

Australian Business Visa

There are two sub-types of the Australian business visa.

1.The Australian short stay business visa remains valid on your passport for 12 months from the date of issue. You may enter Australia as many times as you wish during this period for business trips of up to 90 days at a time.

2.The Australian business visa (life of passport) is valid for the life of your passport, and again allows trips to Australia for up to 90 days to conduct business.

New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

A New Zealand working holiday visa permits travelers aged between 18 and 31 to travel around New Zealand for up to 12 months. These visas allow you to gain temporary employment to help with the cost of travel. There is an option to apply for a longer visa, but you may only work for a total of 12 months regardless of the length of your visa.

Other Australian Visas

The other types of Australian visas that are available are student visas, migration visas, business sponsored visas and partner visas (defacto/spouse/fiancé). There are further eligibility requirements for these types of visas, and we suggest speaking to a specialist visa agent for more information about this.

Please visit for more info:
This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda