You are in: Home > Legal

Documents Needed While Filing Form I-751

19th May 2011
By Samuel Beckett in Legal
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

Along with your I-751 application, you have to send a copy of your Permanent Resident Card (Alien Registration Card or green card) and a copy of the green card of any of your conditional resident children you include in your application. Send copies of both front and back sides of the card.

If you are residing overseas pursuant to a military or government order, including conditional resident dependents residing overseas, you have to submit the following with Form I-751:

1.Two passport size photographs for applicants and dependents, regardless of age.

2.Two completed fingerprint cards (Form FD-258) for applicants and dependents aged between 14 and 79. You have to indicate your Alien Registration Number on the fingerprint card and make sure the completed cards are not bent, folded, or creased. The fingerprint cards has to be prepared by a US Embassy or US Consulate, USCIS Office, or US Military Installation.

Under such situations, you should indicate on top of Form I-751, "Active Military OR Government Orders", and submit a copy of your current military or government orders.

Evidence of the Relationship :

You have to submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage through which you were granted conditional status was entered in ''good faith'' and was not for the purpose of bypassing US immigration laws. Try to submit copies of as many documents to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and also to demonstrate circumstances related to the end of the relationship, if it has ended. The documents generally needed are :

Birth certificates of children born to the marriage.

Lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy of your residence.

Financial records that shows joint ownership of assets and joint responsibility for liabilities, such as joint savings and checking accounts, joint federal and state tax returns,insurance policies that show the other spouse as the beneficiary, joint utility bills, joint installments or other loans.

Certain other documents you consider relevant to establish that your marriage was not entered into in order to bypass US immigration laws.

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two persons who know both of you since you were granted conditional residence and also that they have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons will have to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit). The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain information such as his/her full name and address,date and place of birth, relationship to you or your spouse, and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his/her knowledge.

If you are filing to waive the joint filing requirement due to the death of your spouse, you should submit a copy of the death certificate along with your I-751 application.

Documents that are in a foreign language should be accompanied by a full English language translation. The translator has to certify it as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he/she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. Unless specifically required that an original document be filed along with the application, an ordinary photocopy is sufficient.

If you are filing to waive the joint filing requirement because your marriage is terminated, you have to submit a copy of the divorce decree or other document terminating or annulling the marriage with your I-751 application.
This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda