You are in: Home > Immigration Law

Procedure to Get K1 Fiancée/Fiancee Visa

20th October 2011
By michaelwalker in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

If an American citizen wants his or her fiancée or fiancé to come over to US in order to marry and live there, the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) must be filed. As a foreigner fiancée or fiancé, one must get the K-1 visa initially.

Fiancée/Fiancé Visa Processing

Form I-129-F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) must be filed by the American citizen along with the supporting documents at the USCIS office under the jurisdiction of which his place of residence belongs. Mostly, the regional district USCIS offices request for it to be mailed to the Regional District Office. Only in cities where the "low application-rate" exits they accept applications in person. Please call 1-(800) 755-0777 to know your nearest USCIS office and check with the Immigration Officer.

Once the petition gets approved by USCIS, it is forwarded to the National Visa Center where it is processed and then sent to the embassy or consulate where a K-1 nonimmigrant visa is applied for by the fiancé(e). The Form I-129-F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval. But, if required, it can be re-validated by the consular officer and validity extended till the completion of the visa application processing.

The consular officer notifies the foreign fiancé(e) of a scheduled interview once the initial process of checking the submitted documents is complete. The alien fiancé(e) is issued a visa and allowed to enter the US. This visa is valid for 90 days within which the couple needs to get married. Subsequent to that, the alien spouse needs to apply for an adjustment of status to conditional permanent residence status with the USCIS. A joint petition to remove the conditions on the residence must be filed after two years of marriage.

Limitations for K-1 Visa Applicants

Any one of the following conditions can lead to rejection of the K-1 Visa

Aliens suffering from any communicable disease
Aliens with dangerous physical challenges or mental disorders
Alien likely to become public charges
Convict of drug trafficking or drug addicts
Applicant who entered US illegally or using fraud
Applicant with crimes of moral turpitude, or those who have committed serious criminal acts like prostitution

Visitors of some previous exchange programs, until completion of two years of foreign residence; in case of a waiver, the ineligible applicant is informed by the consular office.

Prepare, complete, and file your application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS, formerly the INS)Begin your Fiancee Visa Application

This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda