You are in: Home > Immigration Law

How To Get a K1 Fiance Visa

17th September 2010
By John Armstrong in Immigration Law
RSS Legal RSS    Views: N/A

Nowadays, distant relationships are quite common. They flourish and prosper with the help of advanced technology and the many effective means of distance communication. People from different countries meet, fall in love, and maintain strong ties despite geographical barriers. Some of these relationships naturally come to a point where the couple talks about marriage.

When an American citizen decides that he wants to marry his foreigner fiancee here in the United States, it does not mean that the fiancee could just hop on a plane and come here for a romantic reunion with him. Instead, what he has to do is to first file a petition for a visa for his fiancee. The visa that they need to get is the K1 visa. A K1 visa, otherwise known as the fiance visa, is what the U.S. government issues to a non-U.S. citizen who wants to come to the United States to marry an American citizen.

The processing of the K1 visa is done in three stages.

Stage 1 U.S. citizen files the petition with the United States Citizenship Immigration Services

Stage 2 USCIS sends the petition to the National Visa Center for further processing. NVC in turn sends it to the Embassy at the country of the foreign national.

Stage 3 - The fiancee is interviewed at the Embassy and issued a K1 visa when found eligible.

The requirements for a K1 visa are the following: The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen and have met his fiancee face to face at least once in the past two years. He must meet all financial requirements. He and his fiancee must also be legally free to marry. They must also have a genuine relationship and have not violated any immigration laws. If you meet all of the above requirements then you can file the K1 fiance visa petition and it will go through the above-mentioned stages.

We can help you gather accurate and complete documentation for your K1 visa petition. Let the experts handle all your visa needs to avoid being denied. Just visit for more information or call us at (888) 894-8655.

This article is free for republishing
Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article

powered by Yedda