Paul Anderson's Articles en-us Apply for Citizenship in the United States US citizenship is considered to be the most valuable status bestowed by the United States. That is because the US citizens enjoy a lot of benefits and privileges. They are also entitled to the rights and the freedom which are guaranteed by America. Foreig... 25th June 2012 Immigration Options for Victims of Crimes USCIS protects the victims of crimes by providing immigration relief. US law renders protections for lawful and undocumented immigrants who are victims of criminal offenses. Most victims do not know about such protections. Specific protections are offered... 29th March 2012 Children born in United States of America Soil Per the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Office of Immigration Statistics (OIS), I-94 non immigrant admissions can be sub divided into three categories Non-resident, Short-term resident, and Expected long-term resident The word “resident” sho... 23rd January 2012 US Immigration and Tax US citizens are not the only ones who have to file tax returns. Certain US immigrants and residents may also have to file, depending on their immigration status in the US. To figure out if you have to file a tax return in the US, you have to check whet... 12th November 2011 The Adjustment of Status Process Adjustment of status is the last step in the green card or (LPR) process (that of becoming a legal permanent resident). You, the foreign national have to file an I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status, most likely based on a pre-existing and approved... 25th October 2011 Getting a Green Card Through Marriage A citizen of United States marrying foreign-born persons and petitioning for them to obtain permanent residence in the U.S is very common. Per immigration laws, spouses of U.S. citizens are considered "immediate relatives" and therefore are exempt from a... 10th October 2011 Welcoming Immigrants to America The United States of America, more than any other nation in history lures the downtrodden, the persecuted, and all those who dream to cash in on the opportunities she provides. America willingly accepts those who come to this country honestly, equipped w... 20th September 2011 Illegal Immigrants In the United States Any person residing in a country illegally is known as an "illegal immigrant." Undocumented immigrant, undocumented alien, illegal alien, or undocumented worker are other terms that are commonly used. Some illegal immigrants enter the US illegally wher... 07th September 2011 Getting a Green Card For Child One of the many advantages of being a US citizen is that you can sponsor your loved ones for a green card to come and live with you in the US. As a US citizen, you may petition your spouse, parents and children for the green card status. Whereas, if you... 22nd August 2011 Think Before Renouncing Your US Citizenship Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) governs the ability of a US citizen to renounce his/her US citizenship. A person wishing to renounce his/her US Citizenship should do so voluntarily and with intent to relinquish US citizen... 10th August 2011 Benefits Of Being an Asylee Once asylum is granted, it means that the asylee can live and work legally in the US and will subsequently have the opportunity to apply for lawful permanent residence and citizenship. However, it is important to note that asylum is not a permanent, gu... 18th July 2011 Refugee Status in the US Every year, the President of the United States will send a proposal to the Congress for the maximum number of refugees that can be admitted into the US for the upcoming fiscal year, as specified under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This numb... 24th June 2011 Who Can File Form I 485? The immigration process to the US differs depending on your current place of stay. If you are outside the US, you have to go through consular processing at the embassy in your country. If you are already in the US and eligible to apply for a green card ... 14th June 2011 The US Citizenship Application Fee The U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the government agency that manages the entire immigration process in the United States. While applying for a visa or green card, certain petitions/applications have to be filed either at the Ameri... 24th May 2011 What Does The USCIS (Formerly the INS) Do? U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the federal agency that manages lawful immigration to the US. The USCIS is a component of the Department of Homeland Security. On March 1, 2003, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) off... 18th May 2011 US Immigration Statistics The United States allowed more legal immigrants from 1991 to 2000, between ten and eleven million, than in any previous decade. By comparison, the highest previous decade was the 1900s, when 8.8 million people arrived, increasing the total US population ... 11th May 2011 Things to Consider Before Becoming a US Citizen Citizenship is the highest status in the US and hence immigration laws strictly limit the number of per-sons becoming a US citizen. Not everyone who wants to become a US citizen qualifies for the same. US citizenship, whether it's gained by birth, throu... 06th May 2011 Citizenship Through Parents' Status Through a 'jus sanguinis' policy, one is conferred citizenship based on ancestry or ethnicity, and is more related to the concept that is common in Europe. Children whose parent(s) are US citizens can claim citizenship through their status as citizens. ... 28th April 2011 All About INS The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly the INS) is the official government agency that manages the entire immigration related matters in the United States. The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) were earlier kno... 06th April 2011 When Does One Become Eligible to Apply for Citizenship? You can become a citizen of the United States either by birth or through naturalization. If you were born in the US, you become a US citizen automatically. You also can claim citizenship if you were born to US citizen parents, depending on meeting certa... 01st April 2011 What Is Citizenship? US Citizenship To qualify for American citizenship, you should be at least 18 years or older and a permanent resident (Green Card holder). You have to be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible to file for citizenship. If your spouse is a ... 28th March 2011 US Citizenship Form N-400 Want to become a US citizen and enjoy the advantages? As a US citizen, you have the right to vote in the US federal elections. You can petition your family members for permanent stay in the US. You can also obtain citizenship for your children born abr... 22nd March 2011 What Does the INS Do? The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly the INS) is the government agency that takes care of the entire immigration process in the US. If you are applying to legally stay in the US, certain immigration forms/petitions have to be filed e... 16th March 2011 Are All Immigrants Eligible for US Citizenship? The lawful status of persons immigrating to the US varies according to the category through which they entered the US. You can use the non-immigrant visa if your stay in the US is temporary and you can come through an immigrant visa if your intention is ... 09th March 2011 The US Citizenship Test Process During the US citizenship test and interview, a USCIS Official will ask you questions about your application package and background. To be eligible for citizenship, applicants should take the US citizenship test which comprises of English language and ci... 02nd March 2011 Can a Child Claim Citizenship Based on Parents' Status? Very few are aware of the fact that children born outside the US to US citizen parents can claim US citizenship through their parents' status if they meet certain requirements. This also depends on the laws that existed at the time the child was born. A... 25th February 2011 How to Immigrate to the US Why immigrate to the US? Immigration can be defined as entering and staying in a country to which you are not a native. The United States of America, the land of immigrants and opportunities enjoys the benefit as no other country does in terms of immi... 21st February 2011 US Citizenship Application (N-400) Getting US citizenship is not only a privilege but also allows enjoying the rights that are part of US citizenship. An individual can become a U.S. Citizen either through birth in the United States or through parents or grandparents who are citizens or th... 05th February 2011 How to Get US Citizenship for a Foreign Spouse Are you a US citizen wishing to have a lasting marriage and staying with your spouse for the rest of your life? It can be possible if you get the US citizenship for your foreign spouse. The phenomenon of foreign marriage is growing these days as is the de... 05th February 2011 Employment Based Green Card Permanent Residents or Green Card holders are authorized to live and work permanently in the United States. United States offers green cards to people in various ways and one of them is the employment based Green Card. In general, this means that an indiv... 20th January 2011 Who Can Apply for K3 Visa? Living in the US after marrying can be boring if the spouse or family is not with you. Such people by all means try to bring their family as well to the US . True enough, uniting with the family and living in the US is a pleasant experience. In order to ... 14th January 2011 Filing for US Visa Extensions Of the many visas granted in the United States, visas for visiting the United States comes to you with a time line and you must leave the country or face the risk of being deported. However, there are instances where a person may wish to stay longer in ... 04th January 2011 What is the Purpose of Form I-140? If you are one among those who wish to work in the US permanently, then here we go. Not many know the fact that they can be sponsored a green card by an employer. The form I-140 is a petition filed by the US employer for a foreign national to work in the... 17th December 2010 What is Adjustment of Status? If you are already in the US and are eligible to apply for a green card based on being sponsored by an employer or family member or based on holding asylee or refugee status, you can apply for adjustment of status by filing Form I-485 with the USCIS. If ... 08th December 2010 Form N-400, Application for Naturalization An immigrant can become a US citizen either by birth or through Naturalization. Naturalization is generally referred to as the procedure through which a person not born in the United States voluntarily becomes a U.S. Citizen. Immigrants who wish to get ... 26th November 2010 Who Can Apply for a K-1 Visa? The INA (Immigration and Nationality Act) defines a K-1 visa as a non-immigrant visa classification for aliens coming to the United States to marry an American citizen and to set up residence in the United States. Procedure and requirements for K-1 vi... 22nd November 2010 How to Apply for H1B Visa Extension? As of today there are so many options that are open for those who wish to work temporarily in the United States on a H1B extension. There are many work categories that include intra-company transfer visa (L-1 visa), B-1 visa, H-2B visa, H-3 visa, O-1 visa... 15th November 2010 H1B Visa Requirements and Process Any foreign national who seeks to enter the United States must obtain a visa. The United States visas are classified into Immigrant and Non-immigrant visas. The immigrant visas are used by people who wish to travel to live permanently in US and non-immigr... 09th November 2010 Getting a H1 visa Every foreign national who wishes to enter United States must obtain a visa. The United States visas are classified into Immigrant and Non-immigrant visas. Immigrant visas are used by people who wish to travel to live permanently in US. Non-immigrant vi... 20th October 2010 How to get a US visitor Visa? People from abroad who wish to enter United States, must obtain American Visitor Visa which is placed in the passport of the individual. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. Instead it determines the eligibility of the individual to se... 13th October 2010 When do I need to fill out an Affidavit of Support? Immmigrants who are applying to obtain a Green Card through a family member must submit an I-864, Affidavit of Support form. The Affidavit of Support form is used to show the USCIS that a Green Card applicant has a financial sponsor and has enough financi... 05th October 2010 The Rights of Being a Lawful Permanent Resident Applying for a green card : There are different ways to get a permanent resident status. A family member who is a US citizen or permanent resident can sponsor you for a green card. Else, you can also get one through the Diversity Visa lottery program t... 27th September 2010 What supporting documents do I need to submit with the Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence is a petition used to remove the conditons on residence. If you are a conditional resident and obtained the conditional status through marriage, then you should use Form I-751 for removal of condi... 22nd September 2010 Reasons Why you Need to Renew your Green Card A permanent resident is the one who is granted authorization to live and work permanently in the United States. As a proof of the permanent resident status the individual is given an identification or an authorization card which is commonly called as Gree... 20th September 2010 Online Green card Renewal Online Green Card renewal is one of the ways in which you can get your green card renewed. A green card signifies your lawful permanent status in the US. Though your status is permanent your card is valid only for 10 years and has to be renewed regularly.... 13th September 2010